Very fortunate to have the opportunity to hear Steve Ballmer speak and to do Q&A with him today. Among the takeaways ,the most poignant and relevant were:
* There's plenty of capital available for good business ideas.
* Telling Satya Nadella, upon Nadella being named CEO of
Microsoft: "Be bold - but be right!"
* Ballmer's self-described leadership style is fluid based on
time and situation.
* "Get rid of your dead wood employees. High performers
* Ballmer describes his personality as "hard core", meaning
he thinks he's relentless, persistent, and tenacious. He told
a story of happily winning a $20 golf bet from the Dean of
Marshall School of Business, Jim Ellis.
* Ballmer said it took Microsoft 15 years to master selling to
* He described many Microsoft employees coming to him with
great ideas, yet those same employees were unable to execute
on their own ideas. In that situation, even a company as large
as Microsoft still suffers from some of the same pains as many
* He considers recruiting and company culture vital. He and Bill
Gates placed high importance on that, even when they had just